Main purpose of the job:
The position closely supports the strategic work of the Director of External Affairs to help positively position ARC within the racing, sport and business print and broadcast media, on an industry and national level, as well as within the social media world. The role involves being based in Head Office and working with the central management team, including the Managing Director and Chairman, with regularly contact with racecourse teams which will involve some travelling when required.
- Responsible to: Director of External Affairs
- Liaison with: Management Team, Operations Board and Racecourse Teams
Main tasks of the role of PR and Communications Manager
- Being based in Head Office, working under the direction of the Director of External Affairs, being a point of contact on communications issues for the Management and racecourse teams in the Director’s absence if required;
- Assisting in drafting press releases, letters, briefing notes and any form of communication needed with stakeholders, constructing guest lists for ARC’s annual industry events and being willing to help with any other written work that may be required by the Director of External Affairs or Management team;
- Liaising with racing and sports media on a proactive and reactive basis, under the direction of the Director of External Affairs, in order to support and promote ARC’s racecourses
- To be a spokesperson for ARC when appropriate, or ensure effective engagement by other members of the team as needed (for example drafting quotes or setting up interviews for the Managing Director, Director of External Affairs, Racing Director, a racecourse Executive/Managing Director or a Clerk of the Course);
- To help co-ordinate with ARC’s racing media stakeholders, including Channel Four and At The Races;
- To work with the Director of External Affairs, Marketing Team and Racenews to ensure positive media coverage of the All-Weather Championships;
- To maintain and manage ARC’s corporate twitter account (@arenaracingco) and engagement on social media, as well as providing content and ideas for ARC’s corporate website;
- To meet up and discuss PR opportunities with ARC racecourse teams and be a support for them in encouraging positive press coverage of their racecourses, race fixtures and non-racing events;
- To be able to represent the Director of External Affairs at internal and external meetings if deemed appropriate and/or necessary;
- To be willing to proactively support the varied work of the Director of External Affairs as part of ARC’s overall strategic approach to PR, communications and engagement with stakeholders.
Key Requirements of the role of PR and Communications Manager
- At least 3 years’ experience in communications, PR or the media;
- Ability to be creative, think proactively, develop new ideas and be a fast learner;
- Be extremely adept at dealing with fast moving situations and complex decision making;
- Be a confident verbal and written communicator;
- Be competent at core IT skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and social media;
- Have a willingness to work outside office hours if required;
- Experience of horseracing a benefit but not essential.